Thursday, September 5, 2013

Mixing prints done right...



































Skort: Zara,  Blouse: TJ Maxx, Bag: Celine, Jacket:H&M,  Heels:F21, Sunnies:ebay

  I know, I know... every Fashionista and fashion blogger owns this Zara skort and I was initially hesitant to follow... however, I just couldn't resist.  Lets face it, this is an amazing piece that belongs in every ones wardrobe.  I love the architectural element created by the zig zag hem and its bipolar "I'm dressy, no sporty", persona it possesses.  But enough about the skort and on to the daunting task of mixing prints.   This is one of those things that can turn out really good or end up horribly wrong.  In general, there are some basic rules that I like to follow in order to nail this look.  First, stick to colors that compliment each other and are in the same family, for example neutrals and neutrals, brights with brights and so on.  Secondly, try and stick to a maximum of two prints an outfit.  Lastly, make sure they are aesthetically pleasing.  This is a bit harder to describe but basically, use your fashion gut and make sure it looks good.  With this outfit, I opted for a relatively simple mix of a navy and white striped blouse paired with a basic cheetah print pump.  Another of my favorite mixes are the classic plaid with the latest hot pattern, the black and white window Paine print.  Another trick you can do is, using a solid piece to break up opposing prints.  I used a black skort in this look.  It softens the look but if you want to go for a bolder statement, pair the prints side by side.  Find what works best for you and have fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment